- First organization in a German university with a focus on teaching and researching emergency medicine and medicine management
- 30+ remote users
- Strict security standards due to patient medical info
- Pure packet filter solution - could no longer satisfy the current security requirements
- Effective solution was required to counter the diverse attack attempts and malicious code activities
- Security solution that meets the highest standards
- Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series
- Barracuda NextGen Control Center
- Multi-gigabit firewall performance and integrated bandwidth management
- Reliable and secure distributed network with Centralized management through Barracuda NextGen Control Center
- Secured access to the Institute’s network via VPN
Sensitive Data Must be Protected
Core Requirements: More Security, Higher Availability, Greater Efficiency
- Increasing security standards: In addition to meeting the strict data protection law stipulations, an effective solution was required to counter the diverse attack attempts and malicious code activities. It was clear at this point that the route which the Institute for Emergency Medicine had to follow was to move away from a pure packet solution and onto an application level firewall.
- Secured access to the Institute’s network via VPN: The 30 full-time employees and their external colleagues should have easy access from outside onto the Institute’s network, without compromising the security.
- Increasing failsafe security: The new system should have a redundant concept. Several physical computers in distributed premises should be used here.
One University, Two Networks
Reliable Partner at Hand
- Dr. Marc Lazarovici, M.D, Head of IT department, INM
Smooth Roll-Out Under Extreme Conditions
It was inconceivable that the system be down for a period of several hours. On the one hand, employees and students work continuously with the Internet and on the other, a high number of web servers were hosted in the Institute’s computing center, including the main server for teaching at the faculty of medicine.
The old solution was still in operation while the new system was initially activated for selected parts of the network. Some VPN clients were also assigned to some testers. Since no problems arose during this test phase, the new system was transferred to the entire system in one major conversion process. This took place with a downtime of just a few minutes. The entire process, from the conception to the final transition, took three weeks.
Positive Résumé After Two Years
Barracuda provides cloud-connected security and storage solutions that simplify IT. These powerful, easy-to-use, and affordable solutions are trusted by more than 150,000 organizations worldwide and are delivered in appliance, virtual appliance, cloud, and hybrid deployments. Barracuda’s customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions that provide end-to-end network and data security. For additional information, please visit barracuda.com.
About the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F
The Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series is the enterprise-grade network firewall that combines comprehensive, next-generation firewall capabilities - based on application visibility and useridentity awareness - with optimal efficiency and throughput. Coordinated WAN optimization, centralized management, and cloud-hosted content filtering and reporting are just a few of the key features supporting enterprise requirements.
Barracuda NextGen Firewall F Fast Facts
- Integrated next-generation security
- Granular control of user activity
- Effective WAN management
- Connection-friendly and robust VPN
- QoS and link balancing
- Central management