Barracuda Launches Barracuda Firewall X100 and X101
New Barracuda Firewall Models Offer Cost-Effective, Easy-to-Use Next-Generation Firewall Functionality for Small Businesses
Campbell, Calif., (September 4, 2013) – Barracuda Networks, Inc., a leading provider of security and storage solutions, today announced the new Barracuda Firewall X100 and X101, next-generation firewalls designed for small businesses. Barracuda also released new firmware, version 6.1, which includes powerful configuration wizards that make setup and network configurations a simple and seamless experience, as well as updated security enhancements including secure remote access through an integrated SSL VPN.
According to Compass Intelligence, there are approximately 22 million companies worldwide with less than 1,000 employees, and approximately three million in the U.S. alone. Many of these organizations lack the resources of larger organizations with dedicated IT staff and budgets. Unfortunately, the increasing sophistication of security threats does not discriminate by business size or IT budget. These smaller organizations all have critical business data and need to implement a security solution that protects them and fits into their constrained IT budget.
“The Barracuda Firewall is ideal for small businesses where employees bring their own laptops and may use social media and other consumer-facing web applications at work,” said Stephen Pao, GM Security Business, Barracuda. “The new Barracuda Firewall X100 series empowers administrators, enabling those small businesses to protect their businesses with comprehensive next-generation firewalling, but without the pricing that breaks budgets.”
Barracuda recently conducted a study among more than 100 organizations to analyze the relationship between ease of use, firewall configurations and security gaps. The study found that one out of two companies experienced network downtime as a result of misconfigured firewall rules. This study underpins the importance of delivering powerful functionality that is also easy to set up and manage. Designed with this ease of use in mind, Barracuda Firewall version 6.1 offers:
- New models for small businesses. The new Barracuda Firewall X100 series provides cost-effective next-generation firewall functionality. The Barracuda Firewall X100, and the Barracuda Firewall X101 with Wi-Fi, appliances include 4x GbE copper ports and enable small businesses to avoid tradeoffs between having an enterprise-grade firewall and keeping within resource-constrained IT budgets.
- Powerful setup wizards. All Barracuda Firewalls now offer configuration wizards to facilitate easy initial setup and configuration including multiple networks and multiple uplinks with link balancing. The setup wizard helps ensure that a Barracuda Firewall can be installed within minutes, while the network configuration wizard enables proper and quick activation of critical firewalling features.
- Integrated SSL VPN. The Barracuda Firewall models X200 and above enable remote users to access internal network resources through a standard web browser, without requiring the installation of client software on end user devices. The Barracuda Firewall SSL VPN feature can be used to grant remote users access to web applications, client and server applications, as well as internal network resources such as Outlook Web Access, SharePoint, or even Windows Remote Desktop Services.
- URL Filtering of HTTPS websites and Web Security Service exemptions. Barracuda Firewalls can apply URL filtering provided by the Barracuda Web Security Service subscription to websites accessed via HTTPS. Additionally, administrators can exempt user-defined domains or IP addresses from being forwarded to the Barracuda Web Security Service for HTTP and HTTPS.
- High Availability. All Barracuda Firewalls can be deployed as part of a High Availability (HA) cluster, and are designed for organizations of all sizes. The primary unit handles network traffic and security functions, while the secondary unit waits in hot standby mode to seamlessly take over in case the primary unit fails.
Pricing and Availability
Barracuda Firewall version 6.1 is available immediately at no additional charge to existing customers on the current hardware platform with an active Energize Updates subscription. The Barracuda Firewall list price starts at $999 USD for the appliance and list price of $179 USD for Energize Updates. An optional Instant Replacement service featuring priority replacement of failed hardware and complimentary refresh of four-year old hardware units is available starting at list price of $199 USD per year. International pricing and availability vary by region.
Live Demo: https://firewall.barracuda.com
2013 Firewall Configuration Study Infographic: http://www.barracuda.com/firewall/configstudy
“Augmenting Next-Generation Firewalls with the Cloud” whitepaper by IDC: www.barracuda.com/idcnextgen
Barracuda Firewall Product Blog: https://www.barracuda.com/products/firewall/blog
About Barracuda Firewall
The Barracuda Firewall is the next-generation firewall for small to mid-sized organizations. It enables enforcement of granular content and access policies based on Layer 7 application visibility and user-identity awareness. The Barracuda Firewall leverages the cloud to perform compute-intensive content filtering and reporting—minimizing on-site resource needs and making scaling for growth easy and affordable. Centralized, cloud-based management with an intuitive interface and simple, yet powerful controls makes it very easy to use. And it’s easily accessible via a web browser or mobile app. To learn more, visit: https://www.barracuda.com/firewall.
About Barracuda Networks, Inc.
Protecting users, applications, and data for more than 150,000 organizations worldwide, Barracuda Networks provides powerful, easy-to-use, affordable IT solutions. The company's customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions for security and storage. For additional information, please visit http://www.barracuda.com or on Twitter: @barracuda.
Barracuda Networks, Barracuda, and the Barracuda Networks logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the US and other countries.