Barracuda Networks Delivers Innovative Platform that Enables "Bare Metal" Performance of Virtualized Networking Applications
Barracuda Eon Launched as Network Virtualization Platform for Consolidating High-Performance Networking Applications
Las Vegas, NV (May 7, 2013) Interop Conference 2013 – Barracuda Networks, Inc., a leading provider of security and storage solutions, today launched Barracuda Eon™, a network virtualization platform designed for easy consolidation of highly scalable networking applications for the enterprise. Barracuda eon is the leading network virtualization platform and provides the high performance - up to 240 Gbps throughput - required for today's mid-market and enterprise-scale networking needs. Barracuda Eon will be on demonstration at the Barracuda Networks Interop Las Vegas booth #1250, May 7-9.
Rapidly growing demands on today’s networks include big data, virtualization, BYOD, layered security, efficient backup, and constant traffic with cloud-based resources. Together, they make traditional layered network design unsustainable over the long term. And while the increased use of virtualized network appliances and applications brings many benefits, it also adds significant lag and latency, with virtualization overhead consuming 20 percent to 50 percent of compute and I/O resources.
“In the past, UTM devices were the norm for consolidating security applications; however, there has always been a performance concern when enabling multiple applications on a single device,” said John Peterson, VP of Network Virtualization Platforms at Barracuda Networks. “Barracuda Eon is engineered so that one application doesn’t affect the performance of another, because each application is resource isolated. This makes Barracuda eon a highly scalable virtualized security platform.”
Barracuda Eon is a next-generation platform that allows for “bare metal” performance of virtualized networking applications that require consolidation and multi-gigabit performance. Benefits of Barracuda Eon include:
- Cost Savings – saves costs on hardware, software licenses, rack space, power, cooling, network infrastructure, and IT staff hours due to efficient consolidation
- Elasticity and Scalability –provides highly scalable network virtualization without compromising performance, the ability to scale gateway applications, or consolidate layered security and networking applications
- Long-term Viability –keeps capacity ahead of fast-growing data security requirements with ultra-high and programmable throughput
- Accelerating ROI –accelerates ROI as the number of hosted applications and virtual appliances increases
“Scalable network virtualization that does not compromise performance is crucial to data centers that are consolidating critical resources," said Richard Stiennon, chief research analyst, IT-Harvest. "A network virtualization platform that meets this demand could be game-changing."
Groundbreaking Approach to Network Design
The emerging principles of Software Defined Networking (SDN) will soon enable a fundamentally different approach to network design – one that incorporates a fabric topology, OpenFlow-enabled devices and controllers for sophisticated traffic management, and network and hardware virtualization to serve up applications and services to end users via the shortest possible path with the highest efficiency. As SDN matures into the standard architecture for enterprise-scale networks, the Barracuda Eon SDG – designed to integrate with OpenFlow-enabled devices and networks – offers greater value by eliminating hardware and hypervisor bottlenecks and enabling seamless, on-the-fly compute-resource re-allocation across multiple virtual appliances and applications.
Pricing and Availability
Barracuda Eon is available immediately in North America in five sizes: Eon 1024, Eon 2032, and Eon 5000, starting at $16,500 USD.
Barracuda Eon at Interop (May 7-9, 2013):
- Visit Barracuda at booth #1250 to see a live demonstration of Barracuda Eon, as well as other new technologies and applications including the Barracuda Firewall and Barracuda Load Balancer ADC.
- Barracuda Eon product demonstrations also will be happening in Ixia’s booth #1951. Additionally, Barracuda Networks will present “Scaling Next Generation Firewalls” during Ixia’s theater presentations, where attendees can learn more about firewall scalability challenges and how a new approach to consolidation and integration of security and switching within a single platform can address these problems.
- INTERVIEW –Snapshot at http://youtu.be/k9i6F9EnB4g. Complete interview at http://youtu.be/ylxbUlRJYTA and http://www.IT-harvest.com – Richard Stiennon, CEO at IT Harvest, and John Peterson, VP of Network Virtualization Platforms at Barracuda Networks, discuss the rapidly growing demands on today’s enterprise-scale networks, and how Barracuda Eon aims to address them.
- BLOG POST –http://bit.ly/barracudaeoN
- DEMO –Visit http://eon.barracuda.com to see an online demonstration of the Barracuda Eon user interface.
- DATASHEET – Download the Barracuda Eon data sheet at https://www.barracuda.com/docs/Datasheets/eondatasheet.pdf.
About Barracuda Networks Inc.
Protecting users, applications, and data for more than 150,000 organizations worldwide, Barracuda Networks has developed a global reputation as the go-to leader for powerful, easy-to-use, affordable IT solutions. The company's proven customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions for security and storage. For additional information, please visit http://www.barracuda.com or follow us on Twitter: @barracuda.
Barracuda Networks, Eon, and the Barracuda Networks logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the US and other countries.