Barracuda Solutions Simplify Information Security for Midsized Organizations
New Total Threat Protection Initiative Launches; Information Security Skills Shortages Continue according to Enterprise Strategy Group
Campbell, Calif. (Nov. 20, 2014) – Barracuda Networks, Inc. (NYSE: CUDA),
Press Release Highlights:
- Barracuda Total Threat Protection aims to provide powerful, integrated security protection across multiple threat vectors at an affordable cost, simplifying information security for resource-constrained organizations.
- Barracuda Total Threat Protection includes an industry-leading solutions portfolio that utilizes common management interfaces to simplify administration.
- Latest Barracuda Web Application Firewall includes new features designed to stop application-layer attacks, including URL encryption, enhanced multifactor authentication, and support for perfect forward secrecy.
- A recent study by Enterprise Strategy Group found that 25 percent of firms surveyed reported security as the number one gap to fill, emphasizing the importance of easy-to-deploy security solutions that protect networks, applications and users in a dynamic threat environment.
Organizations of all sizes face unprecedented security challenges. These attacks often are targeted and increasingly sophisticated, and security professionals are being asked to address these risks across an increasingly complicated IT infrastructure. Barracuda’s Total Threat Protection initiative is designed to help security professionals address the dangerous threat landscape while working smarter and more efficiently. Barracuda Total Threat Protection is aimed at providing customers an easy, cost-effective way to secure multiple threat vectors – including email, web applications, remote access, web browsing, mobile Internet, and network perimeters – that span private and public cloud deployments. It combines award-winning, scalable solutions that share common management interfaces allowing for centralized administration. The streamlined configuration, management and monitoring can reduce the operational burden on IT.
A recent study by Enterprise Strategy Group found that 25 percent of firms surveyed reported that while information security remains a top priority, it also is the number one gap to fill.
“Every year we ask IT leaders to identify areas where they have a ‘problematic shortage’ of IT skills, and the lack of information security expertise appears at the top of the list on an annual basis,” said Jon Oltsik, a senior analyst with Enterprise Strategy Group, a leading IT market research firm. “It is very common for IT departments to deploy a different product for every type of threat, and these individual products create security silos, blind spots, and an operations nightmare. Barracuda’s Total Threat Protection initiative may be attractive because it combines the value of best-of-breed products with common management to help ensure protection and alleviate the administrative burden.”
Total Threat Protection Must Protect Web Applications
Malicious attacks frequently exploit weaknesses across an organization’s network, making it imperative for a company to deploy an integrated approach for Total Threat Protection. According to Verizon’s 2014 Data Breach Report, web application attacks were associated with the highest number of breaches for any specific threat.
To help customers protect against web application attacks, Barracuda continues to enhance the security capabilities of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall. Security highlights of its latest version include:
- URL Encryption: Encrypts every URL within the response body before sending to clients, never exposing those URLs externally, and provides a strong mechanism for forceful browsing prevention. By encrypting URLs, organizations can prevent forceful browsing attacks and prevent attackers from understanding the structure of their web applications.
- SSL Enhancements: Supports Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) associated ciphers. Through PFS, organizations can improve the integrity of their encrypted communications – even past communications in the event keys are ever compromised.
- Improved User Access Control: Allows for user authentication across multiple domains and dual authentication against LDAP and RSA SecurID / Radius with OTP. Through multi-factor authentication methods, organizations can better secure access control and authorizations into all or portions of their web applications, depending on risk.
In addition, as organizations continue to deploy protection, the latest Barracuda Web Application Firewall version also includes enhancements to its administrative interface:
- New Templates Module: Includes a new, powerful wizard-based UI for creating and using configuration templates for virtually any object or policy in the system.
- Robust Reporting: Offers more than 40 ready-to-use reports, including geographical breakdown, and allows administrators to filter reports by security and traffic events, or by timeframe, services, and Top Count.
“The latest release of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall exemplifies our commitment to Total Threat Protection,” commented Pao. “We have added new safeguards such as URL Encryption to enhance application security while driving operational enhancements such as advanced reporting. Our goal is to make sure customers with budget and staff constraints can affordably protect every network threat vector.”
Deploying Total Threat Protection
A comprehensive portfolio and management simplicity are critical elements to Total Threat Protection. Barracuda’s innovation agenda also extends to making products easy to purchase and deploy. Security solutions are available as physical appliances, virtual appliances, as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), and through public clouds including Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
Total Threat Protection is offered through a number of Barracuda security product families, including:
- Barracuda NG Firewall (F-Series) and Barracuda Firewall (X-Series)
- Barracuda SSL VPN
- Barracuda Spam Firewall and Barracuda Email Security Service
- Barracuda Web Filter and Barracuda Web Security Service
- Barracuda Web Application Firewall
- Barracuda Load Balancer ADC
- Barracuda Mobile Device Management
Barracuda also announced today the new Barracuda Security Suite, an integrated security solution that combines the Barracuda Firewall, Barracuda Web Filter, and Barracuda Spam Firewall in a single, consolidated appliance.
Barracuda Total Threat Protection overview: http://cuda.co/ttp
Barracuda Security Suite product page: http://cuda.co/bss
Barracuda Web Application Firewall product page: http://cuda.co/waf
Pricing and Availability
Barracuda Web Application Firewall version 7.9.1 is available immediately at no additional charge to existing customers on the current hardware platform with an active Energize Updates subscription or with an active virtual appliance license. Barracuda Web Application Firewall appliance pricing in North America ranges from list price $4,999 USD to $61,599 USD depending on model, with no per user fees.
About Barracuda Networks, Inc. (NYSE: CUDA)
Barracuda (NYSE: CUDA) provides cloud-connected security and storage solutions that simplify IT. These powerful, easy-to-use and affordable solutions are trusted by more than 150,000 organizations worldwide and are delivered in appliance, virtual appliance, cloud and hybrid deployments. Barracuda’s customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions that provide end-to-end network and data security. For additional information, please visit barracuda.com.
Barracuda, Barracuda Networks, and the Barracuda Networks logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the U.S. or other regions.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding the availability and functionality and performance of Barracuda products and the Total Threat Protection initiative. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements because they involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that are, in some cases, beyond the Company’s control and that could cause the Company’s results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors that could materially affect the Company’s business and financial results include, but are not limited to customer response to the Company’s products, as well as those factors set forth in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Company expressly disclaims any intent or obligation to update the forward-looking information to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date of this press release.