Barracuda NG Firewall Extends Support for Microsoft Centric Deployments
New Version Adds Capabilities for Windows Remote Desktop Services, Hyper-V Virtualization and Microsoft Azure
National Harbor, MD – June 25, 2014 – Barracuda Networks, Inc. (NYSE: CUDA), a leading provider of cloud-connected security and storage solutions, today announced the availability of new capabilities supporting Microsoft deployments in the areas of Windows Remote Desktop Services, virtualization and public cloud. Barracuda is demonstrating the technology this week in Booth #334 at the GARTNER Security & Risk Management Summit in National Harbor, MD.
“Firewalls need to keep up with tech shifts from on-premises, desktop, dedicated server hardware to mobile, virtualized and cloud computing platforms,” said Stephen Pao, GM Security at Barracuda. “The Barracuda NG Firewall helps customers swiftly and safely transition to newer topologies proposed in the Microsoft ecosystem. The latest release expands our integration with Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization and Microsoft Azure public cloud infrastructure enabling our customers to further capitalize on their Microsoft investments.”
The latest version of the Barracuda NG Firewall includes capabilities such as:
- Full user awareness for Windows Remote Desktop Services.Barracuda NG Firewall rules can be user aware even when multiple users on a Remote Desktop Server are behind a single IP address. The latest version of Barracuda NG Firewall adds another integration that makes use of a small, lightweight transparent client that simplifies integration and does not rely on external authentication protocols.
- Support for Hyper-V virtualization. Barracuda NG Firewall Vx virtual appliances can be deployed on Microsoft Hyper-V servers, in addition to VMware.
- Extended support for Microsoft Azure cloud. The latest Barracuda NG Firewall version now supports next-generation firewalling capabilities and high speed (>1 Gbps) site-to-site secure remote access from on-premises networks to Microsoft Azure or Vnets within Microsoft Azure. It enables organizations to deploy securely interconnected multi-zone network architectures. For more information, visit http://cuda.co/ngfw-azure.
Additionally, concurrent with these new capabilities, Barracuda has released other features in the Barracuda NG Firewall version 5.4.3 that continue to support its leading next-generation firewall capabilities, including:
- Application-based dynamic uplink selection. In addition to using application awareness capabilities to block or allow traffic, the Barracuda NG Firewall application-based dynamic uplink selection provides traffic prioritization, improved Quality of Service (QoS) and faster performance for accessing services on the Internet.
- New application usage and risk reports. This latest Barracuda NG Firewall version provides new reports that help administrators enforce Internet usage policies and offers recommendations for redefining policies based on risk.
- Higher performance antivirus scanning. Re-architected to provide higher performance, the Barracuda NG Firewall utilizes a single-pass, antivirus scanning architecture that inspects both unencrypted and SSL-encrypted traffic.
Continued Industry Leadership
According to the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Network Firewalls report in April 2014, “through 2018 more than 75 percent of enterprises will continue to seek network security from a different vendor than their network infrastructure.” The report also indicates “less than 20 percent of Internet connections today are secured by next-generation firewalls (NGFWs). By year-end 2014, this will rise to 35 percent of the installed base, with 70 percent of new enterprise edge purchases being NGFWs.”
The Barracuda NG Firewall is designed to protect edge deployments, especially in environments with limited IT resources. Further, as companies move to public cloud environments like Microsoft Azure, hybrid architecture like Barracuda's becomes increasingly important.
Thomas Kaliwoda, VP of Network at Swarovski, believes that “the Barracuda NG Firewall is the only product in the market that could meet our needs for distributed network security in all 1200 store locations where IT personnel are not available.”
Barracuda will host a Solution Provider Session titled Federating Security Using Physical, Virtual, Public Cloud and Hosted Deploymentsat the GARTNER Security & Risk Management Summit on Wednesday, June 25, 2014, at 9:30 a.m. in Potomac B, featuring:
- Thomas Kaliwoda, VP IT Infrastructure Services, Swarovski
- Steve Pao, GM Security, Barracuda
- Todd Stoeterau, Network Manager, Silversea Cruise
Pricing and Availability
Barracuda NG Firewall version 5.4.3 is immediately available at no additional charge to existing customers on the current hardware platform with an active Energize Update subscription. The Barracuda NG Firewall U.S. list price starts at $599 USD for the appliance and U.S. list price of $99 USD for Energize Updates (one-year subscription). An optional Instant Replacement service featuring priority replacement of failed hardware and complimentary refresh of four-year old hardware units is available starting at U.S. list price of $99 USD per year. International pricing and availability vary by region.
The Barracuda NG Firewall Vx is a virtual appliance that runs on both VMware and Hyper-V environments and is sized based on target numbers of users. Pricing for virtual appliances starts at U.S. list price $1799 USD.
The Barracuda NG Firewall in Microsoft Azure is available today, sold on an annual basis. User licenses can be purchased through traditional channels, and customers can then use that license to provision the application in Microsoft Azure.
About Barracuda Networks, Inc. (NYSE: CUDA)
Barracuda provides cloud-connected security and storage solutions that simplify IT. These powerful, easy-to-use and affordable solutions are trusted by more than 150,000 organizations worldwide and are delivered in appliance, virtual appliance, cloud and hybrid deployments. Barracuda’s customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions that provide end-to-end network and data security. For additional information, please visit http://www.barracuda.com.
About Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit
The Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit features six programs focusing on IT Security, risk management and compliance, business continuity management, chief information security officer (CISO) roles and the marketplace for security to deliver detailed, role-specific content and networking. Each program offers a full agenda of analyst sessions, keynotes, round-table discussions, case studies, workshops and more. Additional information is available at www.gartner.com/us/securityrisk.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding the functionality and performance of Barracuda NG Firewall products. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements because they involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that are, in some cases, beyond the Company’s control and that could cause the Company’s results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors that could materially affect the Company’s business and financial are set forth in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Company expressly disclaims any intent or obligation to update the forward-looking information to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date of this press release.
Barracuda Networks, Barracuda and the Barracuda Networks logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the US and other countries.